Brampton Angling Association was formed in 1856, for the preservation of trout in the rivers Irthing, Gelt and Kingwater. The association continues to provide affordable angling opportunities for the people of Brampton and the surrounding district, and has under its control, extensive stretches of the Irthing and Gelt, as well as a shorter length of the Kingwater.
The association welcomes members from outside the area, and issues permits to visiting anglers. B.A.A. also participates in an exchange permit scheme with other local clubs, which offers members the chance to fish many waters controlled by other local angling clubs.